Here are some of the blog series that I’ve written over the last few years:
Series on 2 Timothy 2:15
Did Paul tell Timothy to study the Bible to be approved by God?
- Study to show thyself approved unto God?
- Did Paul tell Timothy to “study” in 2 Timothy 2:15?
- In 2 Timothy 2:15, what does Paul mean by “word of truth”?
- What did Paul mean by “rightly dividing the word of truth” in 2 Timothy 2:15?
- 2 Timothy 2:15 – Putting it all together
Series: Discipleship as “helping each other follow Jesus”
In Scripture, the idea of “making disciples” is best described as “helping each other follow Jesus.”
- Defining discipleship as helping each other follow Jesus
- Helping each other follow Jesus… in different directions?
- How has someone helped you follow Jesus
- Unintentionally helping each other follow Jesus
- Intentionally helping each other follow Jesus
Series on the “Love Problem”
The church has a “love problem.” What’s the problem? We don’t love.
- Tackling the Love Problem
- The incredible primacy of love… It’s more important than we think
- We have everything we need to love others
- Love is easily recognized as love
- So, why does the church have a love problem?
Series on “Disconnected Church Connections”
Why does the church focus on long-distance, online, or nonexistent relationships?
- Of Authors and Similar Personalities
- Of Online Friends and Followers
- Of Speakers at Seminars, Conferences, and More
- Of the Lack of Relationships Among the Church
Series on Expectations and Fellowship
January – February 2013
How our expectations can affect our ability to find fellowship in Christ with one another.
- Introduction – “An Unexpected Journey with the Church”
- Expectations concerning location
- Expectations concerning activities
- Expectations concerning people
- Concluding (and continuing) thoughts
Series: To Equip the Saints for the Work of Ministry
How do different gifted people (i.e., Ephesians 4:11) help Jesus’ followers do the hard work of serving others (i.e., Ephesians 4:12)?
“Body of Christ” Metaphor Series
When the term “body” is used in a matephorical sense in the New Testament, what does in mean? Is the meaning always the same, or does the meaning change in different passages?
- Romans 12:4-5
- 1 Corinthians 10-11
- 1 Corinthians 12
- Hebrews 13:3
Series: Does Paul refer to other Christians as superiors/subordinates?
Does Paul refer to other Christians (those who traveled with him and those he knew in various cities) with language that demonstrates a superior/subordinate (i.e., hierarchical) relationship?
- What did Paul think about his subordinates?
- Defining the terms
- The ways that Paul most often refers to other believers
- When Paul refers to other believers using father/child language
- Examining Paul’s use of the father/child language
- Does Paul use the term apostle to refer to a superior/subordinate relationship?
- When Paul DOES use the language of superiors and subordinates
Examining the Verb “Baptize” Series:
Looking at the different meanings and mediums for the Greek verb “baptize.”
- The verb Baptize in the Old Testament (LXX)
- The verb Baptize in Philo’s writings
- The verb Baptize in Josephus’ writings
- The verb Baptize in a context with water in the New Testament
- The verb Baptize in a context WITHOUT water in the New Testament
- The verb Baptize in ambiguous contexts in the New Testament
“Preaching” in the LXX (Old Testament) Series:
How is the verb translated “preach” used in the Greek translation of the Old Testament?
Series on Unity
Looking at the topic of unity among the body of Christ.
- Unity: The Series
- We ARE united, but we are NOT united
- Doing the work of unity
- Doing the work of division
- Unity begins and ends in Jesus Christ
Series on Mutuality and Service
The importance of mutual service, not the service of one or a few.
- Mutuality and Itinerant Service for the Gospel
- Mutuality and Teaching Service for the Gospel
- Mutuality and Shepherding Service for the Gospel
- Mutuality: Sharing Life in Christ Together
A Church That Perseveres Series
We all have difference struggles, and we need each other’s help to persevere.
- A church that perseveres through temptation
- A church that perseveres through forgiveness
- A church that perseveres in grace
- A church that perseveres in trials
- A church that perseveres in perseverance
Elders/Pastors and Financial Benefits Series
Analyzing the passages of Scripture that connection elders/pastors and financial benefits in the same context.
Spiritual Lessons from Trail Running
Several spiritual lessons that I’ve learned from my first two experiences running on trails instead of roads or sidewalks.
- Introduction: Spiritual Lessons from Trail Running
- Rocks and Roots and Leaves
- Leading from the front; leading from behind
- It’s a long, hard road, but we’re running it together
- Meeting other people on the journey
- The Destination, the Journey, and Everything In Between
- Look at your feet; look at the path; look further ahead
Decompartmentalizing the Mission of God Series
The Missio Dei (mission of God) is more than activity. It is even more than evangelism. How do we integrate all aspects of the mission of God into our lives and the life of a community?
- Proclaiming the Gospel
- Strengthening Believers
- Caring for the Least
- Putting it all Together
- Emphasizing without Neglecting
- Extreme Emphases
- What to do and when
What did Paul mean when he told the church in Corinth to “weigh” what the prophets said while the church was gathered together?
Prelude: Let the Others Weigh what is Said…
- Test Everything: The role of discernment when the church gathers
- Discernment: A gift of the Spirit and the work of all
- Discernment: Part of the edifying process of the church gathering
- Discernment, the Bereans, and Scripture
- Discernment when Scripture doesn’t Answer our Questions
Giving and the Church in Scripture Series:
What does Scripture say about giving (money, positions, etc.)?
- Christians giving directly to others because of need
- Christians giving indirectly to others because of need
- Christians giving to other Christians who are traveling from place to place
- Christians giving to other Christians in response to some service
“Running the Race” as an Illustration in Scripture
Scripture often uses “running” and “races” as metaphors and illustrations.
- Part 1 – 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
- Part 2 – Galatians 2:2 and Galatians 5:7
- Part 3 – Philippians 2:16
- Part 4 – Hebrews 12:1
- Part 5 – 2 Timothy 2:5
Authority among the Church Series
Authority among the church is a topic that touches every aspect of our understanding of the church. And, if we don’t talk about it, it quickly becomes the “elephant in the room.”
- Authority among the church? Starting a new series.
- What did Jesus say about positions of authority under his own authority?
- In the church, how does someone lead without exercising authority?
- Does the existence and recognition of elders indicate that they have positional authority?
- Does shepherding and overseeing suggest exercising authority?
While preparing to teach through the book of Colossians, I blogged about my preparation and exegesis of each section of the book.
- The beginning of the study
- Preliminary outline
- Salutation (author, recipients, greeting)
- Prayer Part 1
- Prayer Part 2
- Jesus’ preeminence over creation
- Jesus’ preeminence over the church
- Paul’s service for the gospel
- Contrasting Christ with human wisdom Part 1
- Contrasting Christ with human wisdom Part 2
- Contrasting Christ with human wisdom Part 3
- Contrasting Christ with human wisdom Part 4
- Exhortation to put off an earthly way of life
- Exhortation to put on Christ as a new way of life
- Exhortations about family relationships
- Exhortations about prayer and outsiders
- Travel plans, greetings, and final exhortations
- General observations
- Updating the Outline
Mutual Edification and the Church Series
How important is mutual edification? Is the idea just built on one verse: 1 Corinthians 14:26?
Church Polity Series
Episcopal, Presbyterian, Congregational, something else?
- Scriptural Evidence
- The Problem
- Moving Forward
- From Experience
Thinking through mutual edification and the church beginning in 1 Thessalonians.
My definition: “the use of online services, apps, functions, and technologies in order to serve people with the intention of helping those people grow in maturity towards Christ”
Some Thoughts on Mutual Edification
Thinking through mutual edification and the church beginning in 1 Thessalonians.
- Salvation as the motivation for mutual edification
- Acceptance and edification
- What is edification?
- Who edifies whom?
- How do we edify others?
Lessons from the Appalachian Trail
I went on a three day hike / camping trip on the Appalachian Trail with my son and some friends. Here are some spiritual lessons I learned.
Series on Spiritual Gifts
The purpose of this series was to study each list of spiritual gifts in Scripture to determine why the author listed gifts at that point.
- Romans 12:6-8
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-10
- 1 Corinthians 12:28-30
- 1 Corinthians 14:26
- Ephesians 4:11
- 1 Peter 4:10-11
Should elders/pastors be paid a salary?
Position: Scripturally, we cannot justify paying elders/pastors a salary based on their position.
- What about work?
- What about work for elders/pastors?
- What about honor for elders/pastors?
- What about the right of elders/pastors?
- Summary – Should elders/pastors be paid a salary?
Series on Elders in the Church
What does Scripture say about elders among the church? Are elders given functions or responsibilities that are not given to all believers?
- Elders (Part 1) – Introduction
- Elders (Part 2) – Character
- Elders (Part 3) – Leadership
- Elders (Part 4) – Teaching
- Elders (Part 5) – Shepherding
- Elders (Part 6) – Overseeing
- Elders (Part 7) – Conclusion
Series: Defining the Church
Defining the term ekklesia from Scripture – primarily a few passages from the Gospels and Acts.
- Defining the Church 1 – Matthew 16:15-19
- Defining the Church 2 – Matthew 18:15-20
- Defining the Church 3 – John’s Farewell Discourse
- Defining the Church 4 – Acts 1-2
- Defining the Church – Implications