A few years ago, I put together a way of interacting through blogs called a “chain blog.” (This may have been done by others, but I have never heard of it.) A chain blog is similar to a synchroblog, with a little twist. In a synchroblog, everyone posts about the same topic at the same time. In a chain blog, people post about the same topic, but they publish their posts one after the other (in a chain) and sometimes in response to other posts.
The way it works is that someone starts the chain blog by writing a post about a particular topic. The next person in the chain writes a post on the same topic and publishes it on his/her blog. That post can be in response to the previous post(s), or it can simply continue the conversation or even take the conversation in a different direction concerning the same topic. This continues until no one is interested in writing another post.
These are the rules that I’ve used before for chain blogs:
Chain blog rules:
- If you would like to write the next blog post (link) in this chain, leave a comment stating that you would like to do so. If someone else has already requested to write the next link, then please wait for that blog post and leave a comment there requesting to write the following link.
- Feel free to leave comments here and discuss items in this blog post without taking part in the actual “chain.” Your comments and discussion are very important in this chain blog.
- When you write a link in this chain, please reply in the comments of the previous link to let everyone know that your link is ready. Also, please try to keep an updated list of links in the chain at the bottom of your post, and please include these rules at the bottom of your post.
Besides those rules, there is something very important that has to happen before starting a chain blog. It’s necessary to pick a topic that several bloggers are interested in writing about.
So, I have 2 questions:
1) Are you interested in taking part in a chain blog?
2) What topics would you like to write about? (I’d prefer the topic was somehow related to the church, since that’s the primary topic of my blog.)
Also, if you have any questions about doing a chain blog, feel free to ask in the comments.