Chuck got the idea from a lyric in a song. In his analogy, the whole church is a jigsaw puzzle, and each of us are pieces of that puzzle.
Based on this analogy, Chuck makes the following observations:
- Puzzle pieces do not get to choose where they are placed. They simply go where the assembler puts them.
- Puzzle pieces are only responsible for connecting with the few others placed directly around them.
- Puzzle pieces cannot see the big picture from their perspective. They must trust the assembler to place them properly.
- Should a puzzle piece try to correct another section of the puzzle, it would have to leave its own proper place to do so.
- A single piece out of place makes the puzzle incomplete.
Like I said, I think this is a good analogy and these are good observations. (Obviously, all analogies fall apart at some point.)
What do you think about Chuck’s analogy? What do you think about his observations? Does the analogy or any of the observations bring any certain Scripture passages to mind?