So, first, I love Star Trek. When I was thinking of a title for this post, I thought of “Trouble with Greek Fonts.” As I typed that title, it automatically came out as “Trouble with Tribbles,” so I left it.
For this post, do not think of “tribbles” as those balls of fur that multiplied faster than rabbits on board the USS Enterprise. Instead, think of “tribbles” as the weird, gibberish characters that you see if you look at any of my older posts that included Greek fonts. So, for this post, “tribbles” look something like this: á¼Ï€Î¿ÏÎµá½»Î¸Î·ÏƒÎ±Î½
(If you don’t understand the Star Trek reference, and you want to know what I’m talking about, then you can check this article.)
Apparently this happened during a database upgrade a few months ago. But, since it only affected the Greek fonts on my site and a few other special characters, I didn’t notice it until it was too late. (Yes, I always back up my database, but I did not want to restore a month or more worth of new posts to the backup.)
So, what should I do? Should I go back and fix all of the posts with Greek fonts? Some of them are the most popular posts on my site, but there are alot of them. I decided not to try to fix all of those Greek fonts. I’m going to leave the tribbles as they are.
Instead, I’m going to rewrite alot of those older posts. (Yes, there are some newer posts with Greek fonts too, and I’ll decide what to do with those later.) Many of those older posts need to be rewritten anyway. So, I’m not going to rewrite them word for word. Instead, I’m going to write new posts about the same subjects.
In the next few weeks, if you think you’re reading an older post, there are two ways you will be able to tell if the post is new or old: 1) Check the date, and 2) only the new posts have thumbnail images attached to them.
Meanwhile, if you like tribbles, you’re welcomed to occasionally stroll through the “translations” posts or other older posts with Greek fonts. I’m sure the tribbles would love the company.