On his blog this morning (Friday, January 29, 2010 at 7:47 am), Dave Black talked about some of the lessons that he’s learned during the past year while dealing with his daughter-in-law’s difficult labor and delivery, his hospitalization for malaria, and his wife’s cancer diagnosis. He calls these “baby steps”:
- I’ve learned that I cannot control my life.
- I’ve learned that the world is too uncertain a place to count on it.
- I’ve learned that life must always reflect God’s character.
- I’ve learned that I can’t wait for wounds to heal before I serve God with abandon.
- I’ve learned that cold dogmatism has no place in Christianity.
- I’ve learned that the goal of life is to love God and serve Him by loving others.
I wonder if it’s possible to learn to take these “baby steps” together, or if they can only be learned (and lived out) through the crucible of struggle and trials…