Joe (JR) (from “More than Cake“) has given us a great church checklist in a post (humorously) titled “Top 10 Reasons My Church Sucks“. This is what Joe says about the phrase “My Church Sucks” (it’s not what you think):
Saying â€œMy Church Sucks!â€ is a proclamation that we are a drawing power that sucks people into the life of Christ and the liberty of His Church.
Saying, â€œMy Church Sucksâ€ is both a profession of who we are, and a confession of hope for what we must become.
Saying, â€œMy Church Sucksâ€ is the best thing I can say about my church and it is the dream I have for every church!
So, what is Joe’s “Top 10 List”? Here it is:
10. We are faithful neighbors to those nearby (Proverbs 27:10).
9. We are friends of Jesus who share in the life-transforming knowledge of God (John 15:15).
8. We are a countercultural community that lives in the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5).
7. We bring joy to one another and live in harmony (Philippians 2:2-4).
6. We donâ€™t just talk about maturity, we model it (Philippians 3:16-17).
5. We give financially to those in need (Philippians 4:15-16)
4. We eat with sinners and welcome them into our family (Luke 15:1-2)
3. We do not judge those outside the church, we love them (Luke 7:36-50).
2. We reject the stumbling block of religion and embrace relationship with Jesus (Matthew 18:6-9).
1. We preach the Good News of Jesus Christ crucifiedâ€“and the lost get sucked in! (Acts 2:41)
Like I said… a good checklist for any church. How do you and your church compare?