A couple of days ago, I published a short post called “Community Service” that linked to a post written by Andrew Hamilton’s wife describing how he had recently been given an award for his community service. I said that followers of Jesus should be known as servants in their neighborhoods and communities, but that I fell far short in this area.
A new blogging friend, Richard Hawkins from the blog “my life in bits (and bobs)“, left an excellent comment on my post, and said that he would be interested in hearing different ways of serving in a neighborhood or community.
As I said, I am not where I should be in this area, but my family is growing toward becoming servants in our community. Here are some things that we have already done, some things that are planned, and some things that are simply ideas. Some of these things simply help us get to know our neighbors and community better. Other things are directly related to service.
- We have had some of our neighbors over for dinner and to meet some of our friends who do not live in the neighborhood. We need to do this more.
- We attended a neighborhood holiday party hosted by our neighbors last summer. We met many of our neighbors at this party. We plan to attend as many of this parties as possible.
- We stayed in our neighborhood to trick-or-treat and to hand out candy at Halloween this year. Usually we go to a carnival, but we decided to stay home. I had fun walking around the neighborhood with my daughter and her friend, and my wife handed out candy. Again, this was another way to meet some of our neighbors.
- I plan to attend my first ever Homeowners Association meeting next month. I’ve lived in several neighborhoods that had Homeowners Associations, but I’ve never attended a meeting. Again, I’m hoping to get to know my neighbors and some of their concerns.
- Also, next month we are inviting some of our friends to go carolling around our neighborhood. We are baking brownies, making candy, etc. to give to our neighbors as Christmas gifts as we carol.
- We were hoping to host a backyard carnival this fall, but it did not work out. So, we are hoping that we will be able to do this in the spring.
So, these are some of the things we’ve done and some of the things that we are hoping to do in order to get to know our neighbors and to begin serving them. Perhaps you have other ideas. If so, please share with us what you’ve done to serve your neighbors, or ideas that you may have to help us serve our neighbors.